Paul Hopper (paulhopper) wrote,
Paul Hopper

Memorial Day weekend and stuff

It's been two months already! When I haven't been too busy to post anything, I've been too bored.

A couple weekends ago, I had a little barbecue. A bunch of us were going to a Tigers game, so we met at my place, ate, then took a few cars to Comerica Park downtown Detroit. The barbecue was sort of last minute, so only a couple people not meeting up for the game anyway made it for the barbecue. One of these days, I'll get things together for more of an event, but that was a good warm-up! :)

This past weekend was Memorial Day weekend. Liz and I took Friday off and flew out that morning to San Diego to visit Bekah. I don't know if it was the time change or the long trip there, but we spent more of the weekend being exhausted than we would have liked! We'll just have to make sure we're there long enough next time to get past the jetlag and shift in time! :) Isaac, Bekah's boyfriend, claims they were having bad weather there, but San Diego's bad weather sure beats Detroit's bad weather! One of his complaints about San Diego was that its temperature stays fairly consistent and they don't get a good mix of seasons. Oh boo hoo! Here in Michigan, we sometimes get all six seasons in a single week! (Yeah, I know there are only four seasons, not six, but if there were six, you can bet we'd get all six of them in a single week at some point during the year!) I'm not sure what the temperature was while we were there, but if felt just about right to me. We had some California pizza (barbecue pizza and... something else, can't remember), saw the movie Madagascar, visited the beach long enough for us to stick our feet in the ocean, and even made it to the San Diego zoo before heading back to Michigan on Monday morning.

On the way there, we flew from Detroit Metro to the Dallas/Fort Worth airport with only about forty minutes until the flight to San Diego, but we made it alright. And so did our luggage. We had a longer layover on the way back, which was nice because it gave us time to get something to eat and do a little souvenir shopping. I don't remember if it was the first or second flight on the return trip where the flight attendant smelled something burning, but it turned out to just be a coffee pot! A woman sitting behind me on the second flight had no inhibitions about using my armrest as a footrest! Ugh! Fire or no fire, it was a bumpy ride back to Detroit and weather conditions kept us in the air near the Dallas/Fort Worth airport. Then our connecting flight got in late, so Monday ended up stretched out a little more than anticipated, but we made it back safe and sound.

I decided yesterday to tackle the unsteady toilet yesterday. No luck. I'm going to try to find something to bolt the one side down and hope that fixes it but, if not, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to call a plumber to come out and replace some piping, because what's there is old and rusted and I can't replace the flange without replacing some of the heavy duty piping below it, which I'm not ashamed to admit is beyond what I'm willing to even try! The good news is that, somehow, something I did apparently knocked something loose in the piping for the shower drain because that's flowing rather nicely all of a sudden! I'm just glad I was able to get the toilet back in place with no leaks (as far as I could tell) and water restored to the bathroom so I could take a shower last night! My goal, though, is to get the toilet steady before Grandma and Poppa get here in the beginning of July.

Gotta get going for now, but I'll try to keep from waiting another two months before my next post! :)
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.